When applying for a home loan, you will need to provide your lender with information to assess your eligibility and determine how much you can afford to borrow. This information commonly includes:
- Proof of income e.g. payslips or bank statements
- Details of your regular household expenses e.g. rent or board, utilities, groceries, school fees etc.
- A list of any assets you may own and their value e.g. a car, boat, caravan
- A list of your savings and their amount e.g. KiwiSaver or savings accounts
- Details of any debts e.g. credit cards, personal loans, hire purchase or overdrafts
- Evidence of your deposit e.g. KiwiSaver, savings or proof of gifted funds
Download our Home Loan application form for more information or to apply.
What documents will I need to apply for a home loan?
Below is a list of the documentation you may be required to provide your lender to support your home loan application.
- Photo identification
- 3-months of bank statements.
Proof of income
- Most recent pay slip.
- A letter from your employer confirming your base annual salary, occupation and employment status (permanent, seasonal, full-time). This letter should be on signed company letterhead.
- Copy of employment contract (if with current employer for less than 3 months)
- Letter from IRD confirming Working for Families payment.
- Letter from ACC confirming benefit and/or Independent living allowance.
- Letter from WINZ confirming type of Benefit and amount.
- Latest final two years financial accounts (prepared by a Chartered Accountant).
- Copy of your last two years business and personal tax returns.
Proof of deposit
- 3-months savings history evidenced by transaction statements.
- A Gifting Certificate signed and witnessed by Justice of the Peace or Solicitor if deposit is by gift.
- Letter from your KiwiSaver provider confirming the deposit which can be withdrawn for a house purchase.
- Kāinga Ora KiwiSaver HomeStart grant letter confirming the amount of grant approved.
Once you have been pre-approved for a home loan and found a property you want to purchase, you may also need to provide the following:
- Copy of signed Sale and Purchase Agreement
- Property valuation, Builders report, LIM
- Copy of house insurance
- Copy of rates
Ready to apply? Simply download our Home Loan application form to apply today.
More frequently asked questions about home loans
You may find the answer on one of the pages below: